Compare Box Truck vs Cargo Van Costs
Box Truck Overview
A box truck is a two-piece truck that consists of a cab and a separate box-like cargo area. Chances are, you see box trucks all the time. They are frequently used by professional moving and rental truck companies.
Box trucks come in a variety of sizes, from 10 feet in length to nearly 30 feet. Most have a roll-up rear door for easy loading and unloading, although some have swinging doors. In addition to moving, box trucks are used by all sorts of companies that need to deliver or haul large items and big loads.
Box trucks fall into the category of medium-duty trucks, which are smaller and less powerful than tractor trailers. Most box trucks fall into gross vehicle weight classes of 3 through 6.
Get Free Box Truck Price Quotes
How Much Does a Box Trucks Cost?
Prices vary based on the size of the truck, the options you choose and your geographic location. Class 3 trucks start at about $30,000, while class 4 trucks cost about $35,000 to $50,000. Class 5 trucks usually cost about $40,000 to $75,000, while class 6 varieties cost about $50,000 to $100,000.
Box Trucks Pros
- More space - Box trucks provide significantly more cargo space than cargo vans. They’re better suited for hauling or delivering very large items such as furniture or appliances.
- Fewer trips - When you have a larger cargo area, you can deliver or haul items with fewer trips.
Box Trucks Cons
- More expensive - Box trucks are more expensive than cargo vans. They also use more gasoline, which adds to the overall cost.
- Won’t fit in tight spaces - Box trucks are larger, so they won’t fit into tight areas. This makes it more difficult to serve customers or make deliveries.
Cargo Van Overview
Cargo vans are one-piece vehicles that resemble passenger vans, except that the back area is used for cargo space instead of seating.
Cargo vans also come in a variety of sizes. Smaller vans tend to have swinging doors, while larger varieties have roll-up doors. Cargo vans are commonly used by plumbers, electricians, repairmen and courier services.
How Much Does a Cargo Vans Cost?
Cargo vans usually range in price from about $25,000 to $45,000. The price depends largely on the size and power of the van. Diesel models are more expensive than gasoline models, too.
Cargo Vans Pros
- Less expensive - Cargo vans are typically less expensive than box trucks. The largest cargo vans are about half the price of the largest box trucks. Cargo vans get better gas mileage, too.
- Fit into tight spaces - Because cargo vans are smaller, they can fit into tighter spaces. They’re easier to drive, too.
Cargo Vans Cons
- Not as much space - Cargo vans provide considerably less cargo space than box trucks, so they’re not ideal for hauling large items or big loads.
- More trips - If you are hauling big loads, doing so with a cargo van will require more trips and more time.