Wood has long been used to build garage doors, and it remains one of the most popular materials, despite the emergence of alternatives such as metal and fiberglass. Wooden garage doors are very common in high-end homes because the look is elegant and refined.
Wooden garage doors are often custom or semi-custom built, meaning they’re not mass-produced in a factory. They can be designed to perfectly match the look and feel of your home. Opt for real wood, or choose a composite variety that mimics real wood but requires less maintenance.
Factory-built wooden doors start at about $500 to $600, not including installation, while semi-custom doors cost about $1,500 to $3,000. Custom-built wooden doors start at about $3,000 but can easily reach $10,000 or more.
- Attractive - Wooden garage doors are widely considered more elegant and luxurious. They look more expensive (largely because they are more expensive).
- Customizable - With wooden garage doors, the style possibilities are almost endless. Choose from a wide variety of looks, designs and colors. They’re available in standard and non-standard sizes, too.
- Won’t dent - Wooden doors won’t dent the way steel doors do. A wooden door is less likely to be damaged if you run into it with the lawn mower or one of the neighborhood kids hits it with a baseball.
- More expensive - Wooden garage doors are pricier than steel doors. The materials are more expensive, and the fact that they are usually custom or semi-custom built also drives up the price.
- Require more maintenance - Wood can warp, rot or chip without proper maintenance. At a minimum, you’ll need to sand and stain or repaint wooden garage doors every few years. Excessive moisture and pests such as termites can also lead to damage.
There are several types of metal garage doors, including steel, aluminum and iron. Steel garage doors are by far the most common -- this is what most people are talking about when they refer to metal doors.
Steel doors are usually factory-built, meaning they come preassembled. Because of this, the color, design and size options are limited. You won’t find steel garage doors in non-standard sizes.
Steel garage doors usually sell for anywhere from $400 to $1,200, not including installation. Very basic doors with no windows fall on the low end of that range, while fancier varieties with windows and decorative features fall on the high end. The highest-quality steel doors go for as much as $1,500.
- Affordable - Steel garage doors are far less expensive than wooden doors. They’re a great option if you’re on a tight budget.
- Easier to maintain - You’ll never have to sand, stain or paint metal garage doors. Simply power wash them from time to time to keep them clean.
- Lighter - Steel garage doors are much lighter in weight than wood doors. They’re easier to install, and they’re easier to open if you don’t have an automatic garage door opener or if the automatic opener breaks.
- Prone to rust - Steel garage doors are likely to rust over time. If you live in an extremely moist or coastal climate, they’re probably not the best choice.
- Prone to dents - Steel garage doors are much more susceptible to dents and dings.
- Fewer design options - Because steel doors are factory built, the size, design and color options or limited. You won’t be able to customize the garage door to match the style of your home.
Try Our Free Garage Door Cost Calculator
Fill out our 30 second free form to receive competitive pricing from pre-screened contractors. No commitments. Our service is always free!