Driveway gates add an extra level of security to your home. You can rest easier knowing that your family is far less likely to be the target of a burglary or similar crime because criminals have an extra barrier to entry. Driveway gates also increase privacy and keep unwanted solicitors out.
There are several types of gates, including manual gates and automatic gates that can be controlled remotely via a keypad or remote control. Some gates have a single panel; others have dual panels. Some swing open; some slide open. Security gates can be made of from a variety of materials, including steel, iron, wood, aluminum or vinyl.
The price of a driveway gate depends on the the type of gate, the materials, the size and your geographic location. Not surprisingly, automatic gates are far more expensive than manual gates. Custom or semi-custom gates are more expensive than ready-to-ship or ready-to-finish models.
Driveway gates can range in price from about $800 to $10,000 or more:
- Ready-to-install aluminum gates can be purchased for about $800 to $1,500. The cost does not include installation. These are generally sold in 10-foot, 12-foot and 14-foot sizes, although occasionally you’ll find much smaller sizes. Automatic opening equipment is sold separately.
- Custom or semi-custom automatic gates start at about $3,000-$4,000, including installation, but they can top $10,000 if they are very large with lots of fancy features. These are the best option for people with non-standard size driveways or those who want a unique design or decorative features.
Installation costs vary based on the size of the gate, the type of gate and your geographic location. Ready-to-install gates can usually be tackled as a DIY project. The cost to install a custom or semi-custom gate can make up anywhere from about $500 to several thousand of the total price.
If you’re purchasing a ready-to-install gate, you may also want to invest in some accessories to boost security. Also, some companies that sell custom or semi-custom gates sell these accessories a la carte.
- A complete automatic gate opening system sells for about $400 to $1,000.
- In-ground vehicle sensors cost about $200 to $300.
- Wireless motion and/or vehicle sensors sell for about $50 to $100.
- Automatic gate locks sell for $50 to $100.
Find a Security Gate Pro
Fill out our 30 second free form to receive competitive pricing from pre-screened gate contractors. No commitments. Our service is always free!