A motorized retractable awning will cost between $1,000 and $5,000. A custom awning will cost between $5,000-$15,000.
Some of us like to bake in the sun and others prefer to sit in the shade. For shade-dwellers, awnings can provide a cool and comfortable place to relax. Even if you like the sun, awnings can provide much-needed relief from hot summer days or rain, whether you use one to cover just part of your deck or patio, or the entire thing.
The term awning is actually pretty broad. Awnings come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and materials. They can be permanent or more temporary structures, and they can be stationary or retractable, among other things. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the different types to help you make an informed buying decision.
Typically, but not always, an awning is attached to the outside of your home on one end and juts out over the deck or patio. The most common types include:
- Stationary - Awnings that are permanently attached to the exterior of the home. These tend to be sturdy and stable, standing up to rain and wind. They can be custom made to fit oddly-shaped areas such as curved or wraparound decks.
- Portable - Freestanding awnings that can be moved from one location to another. These provide protection from the sun, but they’re not as sturdy.
- Retractable - Awnings that roll or fold up. These are great because they give you flexibility. Block out the elements when you want or roll the awning back when you’d like to soak up some sun.
- Motorized - Retractable awnings that roll in and out with the push of a button. These are more convenient than manual retractable awnings, which can be a pain to roll up, but they’re also more expensive.
- Window awnings - Awnings that block direct sunlight from coming into your windows. These can be stationary, retractable or motorized. Some people also consider them a decorative feature.
As you can imagine, awnings vary widely in price depending on the type, the size, the level of customization, the materials used and whether they’re motorized. You could pay $300 for an out-of-the box stationary window awning or tens of thousands for a customized retractable awning that wraps around the house.
- Motorized retractable awnings in standard sizes (no customization) usually cost anywhere from $1,000-$5,000, depending on size.
- Portable freestanding awnings can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to more than $5,000. On the low end of that range, you’ll find very simple and lightweight models. On the high end, you’ll find robust and fancy versions, which, although they can technically be moved, look like permanent fixtures.
- Custom awnings usually cost $5,000-$15,000, although the price can be higher or lower depending on the size and complexity.
Below are some sample awning prices by location (Updated for 2023):
|City||Zip Code||Average Price Paid|
|Los Angeles, CA||90011||$2,928|
|New York City||10001||$2,315|
Here is a video on the top 5 retractable in 2023.
Try Our Free Awning Cost Calculator
Fill out our 30 second free form to receive competitive pricing from pre-screened awning contractors. No commitments. Our service is always free!