Standard dishwashers typically hold up to 12 place settings. They have a kick plate underneath the door that makes for easier installation and maintenance, however that kick plate takes up valuable space that could be used to wash larger items or more dishes at once.
Generally, a standard dishwasher is sufficient if you have average dishwashing needs. If you run the dishwasher only once per day or sometimes have trouble filling it, a standard dishwasher is the way to go.
Standard dishwasher can range in price from $200 for a basic model to more than $1,000 for a top-of-the-line, energy efficient model. Most mid-range models cost $400 to $500.
- Easier maintenance/installation - The service plate beneath the door of standard dishwashers makes them easier to install and repair because the working parts are easier to access. Installation and repairs will be cheaper than with a tall tub model.
- Ideal for small households - If you only run the dishwasher once a day - or less - a standard dishwasher will suit your needs just fine. There’s no reason to spend more for a tall tub model.
- Not as much space - Standard dishwashers hold fewer place settings and they’re not ideal for tall items such as cookie sheets, vases, tall wine glasses or large pans. You’ll have to do some wrangling to make large items fit.
- Louder - Standard dishwashers tend to be louder than tall tub models because sound escapes through the kick plate area.
Tall tub dishwashers, also known as super capacity models, have roomier interiors than standard dishwashers because there’s no kick plate at the bottom. Tall tub dishwashers have 20 percent more capacity, holding up to 16 place settings. However, the vast majority of tall tub dishwashers still fit underneath a standard-size countertop.
Tall tub dishwashers are ideal if you run one or more loads per day or if you need to run large items such as cookie sheets, vases, large wine glasses, and pots and pans.
Tall tub dishwashers also range in price from about $200 to $1,000 or more. However, they’re slightly more expensive than comparable standard models. Most mid-range tall tub dishwashers cost $500 to $700.
- Greater capacity - Tall tub dishwashers can hold four extra place settings. They’re also roomy enough for large and awkwardly-shaped items that you might have to hand wash otherwise.
- Quieter - The continuous front (lack of a kick plate) helps reduce sound. Tall tub dishwashers tend to be much quieter.
- Cost - Tall tub dishwashers are more expensive than standard models. In most cases, budget a few hundred dollars extra.
- Harder to install/repair - The lack of a kick plate makes it difficult to get to the working parts of the dishwasher, so tall tub models are more difficult and more expensive to install and repair. Some repairmen might not be familiar with them at all.
Find an Appliance Installation Pro
Fill out our 30 second free form to receive competitive pricing from pre-screened appliance companies. No commitments. Our service is always free!