Portable office trailers are ideal for creating temporary office space. They are wildly popular in the construction industry, serving as sales and leasing or management offices. They’re also used for temporary classrooms, offices or storage space.
However, buying an office trailer can be expensive - new trailers usually cost at least $15,000-$40,000. If you’re on a tight budget or prefer to save working capital for other expenses, consider buying a used trailer. You’ll find a wide selection of used models in great condition.
Like new trailers, used models are available in a variety of sizes and configurations. Some are very basic; others have been upgraded with features like bathrooms, multiple exits and heating and cooling systems.
With a used model, you won’t have the luxury of customizing the trailer to suit your specific needs. But, you’ll still have a large selection of sizes and amenities from which to choose. Moreover, you’ll save thousands of dollars.
The price of a used office trailer depends on the size of the trailer, its features and condition, and your geographic location.
Generally, used trailers cost half the price or less of new trailers. Budget anywhere from $3,000-$20,000.
- A small 8’ X 20’ trailer in fair or good condition might sell from $3,000-$8,000.
- A large, double-wide trailer is good condition might sell for $8,000-$20,000.
- For $15,000-$20,000, you’ll be able to purchase a very large trailer with amenities such as bathrooms, private offices, a kitchen, and telephone and Internet hookups.
If you’re not ready to purchase outright, consider renting or leasing a used trailer. Monthly prices range from $100-$500. Renting is a shorter-term solution with slightly higher monthly rates. Leasing usually requires a commitment of several months or years, but the monthly cost is lower.
As with any major business purchase, it’s important to do your homework before choosing an office trailer. And when you’re purchasing used, it’s even more important to set aside time to thoroughly research all of your options. Here are some tips for finding a used office trailer that meets all of your needs.
- Have an idea of what you want before you start shopping around - this will streamline the process. How large should the trailer be? Do you want an open concept layout or separate offices? Do you need amenities like air conditioning or can you do without them?
- Talk to other companies in your industry that have used office trailers. Did they purchase, lease or rent? If they could go back in time, would they make the same decision? Seeking advice from other companies can save you from making costly mistakes.
- Consult multiple dealers to compare available models and prices, but never choose on price alone. Always consider each company’s experience and reputation.
- Do some background research into any company you’re considering. Ask for references and call them all. Were they satisfied with the condition of the trailer? Was the price reasonable? If you’re renting, was the trailer delivered and picked up on time? Check each company’s rating with the Better Business Bureau and find out how long they’ve been in business.