How Much Does Post Construction Clean Up Cost?
Read This Before Hiring a Post Construction Cleaning Crew
The construction process is messy. When the last crew leaves the site, someone has to get rid of all the dirt, dust and potentially hazardous waste left behind. If you’re a busy contractor, real estate agent or homeowner, you might want to call in a professional to do that work.
Post-construction cleanup services are specialty, niche businesses. They understand that presentation is everything when it comes to new construction. A good post-construction cleanup service will pay attention to every detail, leaving nothing behind to distract potential buyers from the craftsmanship.
Summary: Post Construction Cleaning Rates
Prices for post-construction cleanup vary, of course, but the average price for a residential job is $550-$800. For commercial cleanup, budget anywhere from $0.10 to $0.50 per square foot, depending on the type of cleaning.
Try Our Free Construction Clean Up Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your needs and get connected to pre-screened companies in your area. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
About Post-Construction Cleanup
There are actually three phases of post-construction cleanup. You can hire a cleaning service to take care of just one or all three.
- Rough interior cleanup prepares the home or building for its final finishings. Tasks include removing construction debris such as loose boards and scraps from the inside of the structure; sweeping the floors and prepping them for carpet or flooring; washing windows; and dusting.
- Final interior cleanup is the detailed cleaning after construction wraps up. It involves vacuuming carpets, cleaning floors, wiping down all kitchen and bathroom surfaces, cleaning window sills, removing adhesive from doors, windows and appliances, and removing any lingering debris. Other tasks include removing dust from light fixtures, ceiling fans, duct work and vents.
- Exterior construction cleanup involves removing all lumber, trash and debris from the property, washing exterior windows, and sweeping driveways and other paved surfaces.
Cost of Post-Construction Cleanup
The price of post-construction cleanup depends on many factors: the size of the home or building, the type of building, the experience of the company, the cost of supplies, geographic location, the condition of the property and the level of detail required. Obviously, a light cleaning is less expensive than a deep cleaning.
- For large commercial properties, rough interior cleanup might cost $0.10-$0.30 per square foot. For a 25,000-square-foot building, that works out to $2,500-$7,500. For a 100,000-square-foot building, that’s $10,000-$30,000.
- A final cleaning can be slightly more expensive - up to $0.50 per square foot. However, discounted per-square-foot rates are usually offered for very large properties.
- Window cleaning typically costs an extra $3-$5 per window, per side. The price increases dramatically above the second floor.
- A complete post-construction cleanup job for a small residential property might cost $300-$600, while a complete job for a larger home might cost $600-$1,000. Most jobs are priced somewhere in the middle. Keep in mind, too, that rates are also affected by the saturation of the local market. If there are dozens of post-construction cleanup services in your area, expect to pay on the low end of these prices ranges. If there are only a few, budget on the high end.
Choosing a Post-Construction Cleanup Service
Before you hire a post-construction cleanup service, seek multiple quotes to find the best price. Never base your decision solely on price, though. Do some background research on any company you’re considering to make sure it is reputable. Check the company’s references and its track record with the Better Business Bureau.
Always talk to the company in advance about time frame - a good cleanup service should be able to work around a tight schedule and complete the job within two or three days. Also, make sure any company you choose is licensed, bonded and insured.
- Superfund: Post Construction Completion
- 4-Step Commercial Post-Construction Cleaning Guide [Checklist]