Compare Regular vs LED Christmas Lights Costs
An Expert Comparison of Regular & LED Christmas Lights
Regular Christmas Lights
Regular Christmas lights differ from LED lights because of the way they are illuminated. The light is caused by heat that makes an internal filament glow. The technology is older, but traditional Christmas lights are still widely used.
How Much Do Regular Christmas Lights Cost
Regular Christmas lights are fairly inexpensive. Plan to spend about $10 to $15 for a good quality, 100-bulb set for indoor or outdoor use. However, you can find sets that are not as well made for as little as $3.
Regular Christmas Lights Pros
- Less expensive - Regular Christmas lights cost about half as much as LED lights.
- No flickering - They won’t flicker like LED lights - which some people find annoying or hard on the eyes.
Regular Christmas Lights Cons
- Not as green - Regular lights use more electricity than LED lights, so they’re not as eco-friendly.
- Not as durable - They are flimsier and more likely to break. The glass cover and filament are both fragile.
- Won’t last as long - Regular lights won’t last as long as LED lights. Chances are, you’ll have to replace a strand or two every few years.
- Warm to touch - They get pretty hot and can be uncomfortable to the touch.
Try Our Free Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your needs and get connected to pre-screened companies in your area. Or simply call us at: 866-944-1015. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
Get Started Now!
LED Christmas Lights
LED Christmas lights are illuminated by the movement of electrons, as opposed to heat. They have exploded in popularity in recent years as the technology has improved. LED lights are the modern, energy efficient choice.
How Much Do LED Christmas Lights Cost
LED lights tend to cost about $25 to $35 for a good quality, 100-bulb set that can be used indoors or outdoors. They use just a fraction of the electricity of regular lights, although energy savings might only total $5 to $10 each season.
LED Christmas Lights Pros
- Greener product - Because LED lights use less electricity, they’re better for the environment than regular Christmas lights. However, they are made using plastic that is not so eco-friendly.
- More durable - LED bulbs are sturdier and less likely to break.
- Longer lasting - LED lights won’t burn out quickly; they’re very long lasting. Some brands advertise as much as 20,000 hours of use, which is more than you need in a lifetime.
- Cool to touch - LED lights don’t get hot, so they won’t burn your fingers.
LED Christmas Lights Cons
- More expensive - LED lights are usually about double the price of regular lights, and the energy savings are not enough to make up for that extra cost in the short term.
- Prone to flickering - LED lights are designed to flicker about 60 times per second. Essentially, they’re rapidly blinking off and on. Some people are bothered by the flickering or say it irritates their eyes, while others don’t notice at all.
- Harsh colors - Many people believe that LED lights are too bright and harsh, although technology is constantly moving toward making them easier on the eyes like regular Christmas lights.
Try Our Holiday Light Installation Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your project and get connected to pre-screened companies near you. Or simply call us at: 866-944-1015. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
Try It Free!